Wednesday, April 8, 2026

CNN IRAN STATEMENT

Trump Says US Will Help with “Traffic Buildup” in Strait of Hormuz 

President Donald Trump announced on Wednesday that the United States will assist with the “traffic buildup” in the Strait of Hormuz, just hours after declaring a two-week ceasefire with Iran contingent on the “COMPLETE, IMMEDIATE, and SAFE OPENING” of the critical waterway. “There will be lots of positive action! Big money will be made,” Trump wrote on Truth Social shortly after midnight. “Iran can start the reconstruction process. We’ll be loading up with supplies of all kinds, and just ‘hangin’ around’ in order to make sure that everything goes well. I feel confident that it will.” Trump added that the U.S. “will be helping with the traffic buildup in the Strait of Hormuz” and will remain in the region to ensure smooth operations. He did not provide specific details on the form of American assistance, such as naval escorts, traffic coordination, or logistical support. The White House has not yet responded to requests for clarification. Trump hailed the agreement as “A big day for World Peace!” writing: “Iran wants it to happen, they’ve had enough! Likewise, so has everyone else!” The ceasefire, announced late Tuesday just before Trump’s deadline, requires Iran to reopen the strait in exchange for a two-week suspension of U.S. (and reportedly Israeli) strikes on Iranian targets. Trump had threatened severe retaliation, including attacks on Iranian infrastructure, if the waterway remained blocked. **Iran’s Position** Iran’s Foreign Minister Seyed Abbas Araghchi stated that safe passage during the ceasefire “will be possible via coordination with Iran’s Armed Forces and with due consideration of technical limitations.” Tehran has framed the deal as a victory, claiming it forced the U.S. to back down from escalation while preserving Iranian oversight of the strait. Marine traffic data shows minimal movement so far on Wednesday, though at least two vessels have reportedly transited safely since the announcement. Over 800 ships are said to be trapped or waiting in the Persian Gulf, according to shipping industry sources. **Strategic and Economic Stakes** The Strait of Hormuz is a vital chokepoint through which approximately 20% of global oil supplies normally pass. Traffic has been largely stalled since the escalation of the conflict, sending oil prices soaring and raising fears of broader economic disruption. Trump has previously suggested joint U.S.-Iranian control of the waterway, telling CNN last month: “It’ll be jointly controlled. Me and the Ayatollah, whoever the Ayatollah is, whoever the next Ayatollah is.” Analysts note that key details remain unresolved, including whether Iran will continue charging tolls on certain vessels and the exact role the U.S. Navy will play in the “traffic buildup” management. **Market Reaction** Global markets showed relief following the announcement. Oil prices pulled back from recent highs, while stock markets in Asia and Europe opened higher on hopes that the temporary truce could prevent a deeper energy crisis. The two-week window is expected to be used for further negotiations, possibly including talks in Pakistan, aimed at a longer-term agreement. This fragile ceasefire comes amid a nearly six-week conflict that has already caused significant casualties and economic strain on both sides. Many observers remain cautious, warning that any violation could quickly reignite hostilities. 

No comments:

Post a Comment